Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

They only hung me the right way up yesterday

I committed to the dread act of doing up a balancing statement for Annie Inc. And the prognosis is not good ,even if it was on the books at Anglo it couldn’t look good. Many people have the opinion that we have a generous social welfare system, I only availed of it when I returned to university, I have single mothers allowance for the first time since my son was 1 (he is now almost 14). When I returned to college I had part time work but that has dissolved into the ether that is Ireland post apocalypse last year and all efforts to find work since have been futile.

Incoming I have €225 per week, adding the children’s allowance I have a net of €1050 per month. Out of that comes my mortgage (€500)and loan(€200) ESB(€45) and phone (€50)which total €795, leaving me with a weekly disposable income of €65 euros. To feed and maintain me and my son.

I’ve just cancelled my phone contract so that will be nullified in the coming month, I really don’t know where else to cut a corner. I’ve sold everything I have that was worth anything, I really am seriously in need of ideas here. I cannot keep leaving the Turin shroud on my pillow at night.

Should I leave university, I have a 1:1 so far and really can see no hope in returning to growth this year unless I do. Doing a psychology degree means I have to go for a doctorate if I want to use my skills. I’ve been offered a research doctorate but that means 3 more years of borderline poverty and despite my hopes that I was tough and resourceful and clever, I cannot cut this cloth to fit the task. My grant will come in around the end of October or November, like the last two it will be swallowed whole by my overdraft and my mortgage arrears which have been stacking up for the last year month on month.

I have no more answers...perhaps you do?

6 comments:

  1. Annie,
    I have a brother in law with a first in economics and psychology from ucg. He is 30 with life skills- came back from Oz to go back to uni a few yrs ago. He is unemployed the last 13 mths since his finals because those skills are not focused enough for the new economy.
    You need to add finance or management to that psychology degree to get a job in the private sector or add something else money or leadership related to upskill a cv. You said yourself money is the only way to loosen the noose so you have to figure out what the new job market will pay you for.
    Cut your mortgage money to 350 per month and other loan repayments to 100 per month- you will be safe enough- banks will play hard ball but take what they get....
    Its not my business to offer you superficial solutions but I do know banks and how to use money. Good luck, apologies if my advice I incomplete but I do feel for you. Be a tough practical bitch, not an idealist or you'll waste away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like good advice, more practical than I could have given. The country is full of people who are in this sticky position and we are all having to deal with it separately - that doesn't seem right to me as we can be more powerful together.

    I hope you can hang on with your education: your brains are too good to waste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks
    I dont know wether to be glad of solution, I dont want to make a lot of money, just enough, when your on a shoestring for years you learn not to want much, the idea of working in finance or management is at odds with my ...ethics.
    Cripes, that sounds like Im rejecting a path of plenty, but I know a little of happiness, and I know it wont come though the pursuit of money, I have to do something of value, to others.
    I have to feel like Im improving the lot of somebody else, not figuring out ergonomics so that I can make the 'human resources' more productive.
    That said I was a tough practical bitch when I had to be, I paid off a huge sum on my mortgage during the up swing and have at the very least secured the house, I was the golden child for a while.So I did make money and help people, it was a win, win, and I will get there again, just not from a zero capital position.

    Ive arranged to pay interest on Mortgage for a few months and will work on getting all other bills paid off, then I getto go on the roundabout again in a few months, in time for christmas....groan

    In better news got a Junior Grand Champion to make the beast with two backs with Maiko...there might be a windfall in time for Christmas after all...for the vet as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the spirit-
    dont suffer for the banks sake though.
    If the house is secure then pay the bank sweet FA for a year or so and give yourself a life. You are in a better position than they are in the eyes of the Law because you are a poor defenseless single parent gamely holding onto a family home.
    Dont put yourself out for them- Jonny Ronan and Seany Fitz didnt!
    If you add an executive coaching diploma to the psych degree you would get a great job in HR or even become a free lance coaching guru....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Im very lucky I own way more than they do, which is nice.... residual catholic guilt possibly making me pay them anyway
    As for the coaching and that kind of thing...eeeehhh...Im hoping for a grant to pay post grad fees so dunno if thats in the pipeline, besides, travel is an issue.
    Im in considerably better form this week, its cyclical, the beast...8 hens iced by foxes yesterday and the ignition broke in my car and Im still pragmatic! Sat down and did the books and figured out some more long term strategies.

    Thanks for a voice of support, I really do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I've no advice to give other than hang in there. In the middle of shit creek also with only my fingernails on the paddle and I'VE A JOB! It will get better I'm sure. Love your work, long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete