Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

FETAC madness

Having sat through Primetime investigates the care of older people withing Ireland by private service providers I needed to get a few things off my chest.

I have lectured for over 5 years delivering FETAC approved modules for various service providers within Ireland. Nothing makes me cringe more so than the insinuation that anyone is qualified for anything after a level 5 course.

Last week I was handed a Level 5 portfolio to second mark, there was no evidence of any learning, understanding or analysis in the piece. I confirmed that the first marker was correct in not passing the student. I was then informed that the student had contested the grade, staying that she had 11 FETAC awards all of which were at ‘distinction’ level over the last 3 years. All of these were earned through CE schemes. It brought home to me once again the truth that FETAC marking, course teaching, lecturing and provision differ wildly between ‘colleges

FETAC modules also have wildly differing timescales to implement them, a course which runs part time over 6 or 8 months in one institution will be miraciously completed in 4 Saturday sessions in another service provider. With sketchy and often vague learning outcomes interpreted by service providers in the interest of balance sheets and budget this is an ongoing problem with FETAC awards. I once put together a tutor and student pack for a mental health module, I warned the service provider that only a suitably qualified person should deliver the course, less than 12 months later they offered the course to a woman who had no third level qualifications whatsoever.

I started out developing modules for working with clients with learning difficulties and special needs. The ethical considerations of this vulnerable group were not addressed sufficiently by FETAC, I pointed that ‘using’ vulnerable adults and children as work experience for a week or two was unethical, outside of garda vetting, people deserve the right to privacy, this was ignored by the course providers. Neither FETAC nor the service provider wanted to change, it was ‘in the interest of THEIR students that work experience remained so unable to stand over what I was doing I left.

I now work with an organisation who actually has ethics enshrined in their daily business, who cares about students but not to the point of passing those who make no effort. They are the exception rather than the rule in the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment